“Yummy” best describes the experience had at my new find Bittersweet bakery. To call Bittersweet new isn’t quite accurate since they’ve been around for over 20 years. They run a busy little café and bakery on the north side of the city.
We’ve been decorating their cakes with our fresh floral for years, but never had an opportunity to visit their bakery until recently. Sue Anne, their primary cake consultant invited us in on Valentine’s Day of all days for a tasting and to chat more about all they have to offer.
From the street, you can see their glass windows filled with brightly colored wedding cakes and cute gift merchandise. The inside looks more like a French Patisserie filled with to-die-for pastries, cakes, and cookies. We caught a few snap shots of that busy Valentine’s Day visit to make your mouth water.
Sue Anne is a delight to work with and is extremely knowledgeable on all things cake related. She explained to us that they customize all of their wedding cakes to the bride and groom’s requirements and encourages her clients to come in with photos of their favorite designs for inspiration.
I personally LOVED the lemon meringue tart which they use as a filling in wedding cakes. Here is a short list of their popular cake combinations (if you see something missing, they’ll make it for you!):
1. Almond Cake, Crème Brulee Custard with Strawberries, and Vanilla Buttercream
2. Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries, Dark Chocolate Glaze
3. Banana Cake, Milk Chocolate Mousse, Milk Chocolate Buttercream
4. Yellow Cake, Lemon Curd with Raspberry Preserves, Vanilla Buttercream
5. Carrot Cake, Apricot Preserves, Cream Cheese Buttercream Filling and Finish
6. Almond Cake, Tiramisu w/Espresso soaked Lady Fingers, Dark Chocolate Glaze
7. Hazelnut Cake, Hazelnut Buttercream, Dark Chocolate Glaze